Cast of characters:
- Cardinal Jessica – One of my BFFs who I met about 12 years ago. She was the door girl at the best bar in the world, the Cardinal Bar, in Madison, WI, where I spent a large portion of my time in the mid-2000s. We both then moved to Chicago. She now lives in Minneapolis.
- Nacho – The definition of pure awesomeness. My girls and I met Nacho and his friends in Playa del Carmen, Mexico, while on vacation in 2013. He’s one of the nicest people on the planet, and he lives in Guadalajara. We’re friends to this day, and he helps me practice my Spanish and keeps me laughing. 🙂
- Nacho’s “friends” (not any that I met)
- I still use CDs in my car’s CD changer (I’m old school). I have several deep house compilations from DJs at the Cardinal Bar from way back in the day.
- I like the Green Bay Packers.
- I love Mexico, but have never been to Guadalajara.
- I was with Cardinal Jessica when we met Nacho.
- Nacho drove us around Playa with his friends in a white SUV while on vacation.
- Cardinal Jessica and I (and our other girls!) are going back to Playa next month.
Last night’s dream started with Cardinal Jessica and I in Chicago, flying to Guadalajara for the day. We arrived at the airport in Guadalajara, and Nacho and his friends picked us up in a shiny new white Suburban. Nacho was wearing a Green Bay Packers sweatshirt… it was green with yellow writing and a yellow collar. Nacho’s friend was really tall and big, and he was also wearing a green Packers sweatshirt, along with a green, satin Packers coat. There were a bunch of other nondescript friends around. I remember looking to the left and seeing a large US-style water tower. Jessica and I got into the back of the Suburban… Jess on the right and I on the left. Nacho got into the passenger seat, and his big friend got into the driver’s seat. The other friends all piled into the middle seats. There were probably 8 of us total in the Suburban. We told them that we had to return to the airport for a 5:30pm flight back to Chicago in order to catch our flight down to Playa del Carmen. Nacho and his friend said that they would have us back to the airport at 5:00pm, which would give us plenty of time to check in. Jessica and I said we’d probably need more time than that. Once we were all in the Suburban, we just started driving all around Guadalajara, which was actually more of a village than a city. The colors outside were very bright greens and yellows and rich browns. All of a sudden, I had a CD case in my hands, full of all of my old deep house compilations from the Cardinal Bar. I pulled one out and handed it up for Nacho to throw into the CD changer in the Suburban. Then I handed up another and another. We just listened to my CDs as we drove around. It came time for the boys to drop us off at the airport. We got out of the Suburban and said our thank yous and goodbyes to them. Then Jessica and I entered the airport, and the boys drove off. Then I realized that I had left my precious CDs in the CD changer. Oh man!
Cast of Characters:
- Jess J. – BFF in Madison, WI. We’ve probably traveled to 20 countries together, no joke.
- Cardinal Jessica – One of my BFFs who I met about 10 years ago. She was the door girl at the best bar in the world, the Cardinal Bar, in Madison, WI, where I spent a large portion of my time in the mid-2000s. We both then moved to Chicago, where we became great friends. She now lives in Minneapolis. We have traveled together to five countries… and counting!
- Jackie – A current co-worker… the “dark-haired ginger.”
- Sarah M. – A current co-worker.
- Jess J. and I traveled together most recently to St. Maarten last year.
- Cardinal Jessica and I traveled together most recently to Mexico earlier this year.
- I love Mexico!
- I used to go fishing for catfish with my dad in rural Wisconsin. I haven’t eaten or touched a catfish in probably 25 years.
- We have a lot of meetings at work, and Jackie always seems to be the one taking the notes.
- Sarah is in charge of our loyalty program at work.
Wednesday night’s dream:
There were three separate parts to this dream. The dream started in a hotel room in Mexico, though it was a pretty accurate spacial depiction of my last room in St. Maarten. I was standing there alone, in anticipation of Jess J. arriving. It was very dark, and I had all of the curtains closed (in real life, I never close the curtains wherever I am at any time of day). I knew she wasn’t going to like the room. I went outside to the beach. It was cold, windy, and gray outside. I was overlooking a gray, choppy ocean, and there were sticks and seaweed littering the shore. The beach was empty and the air absolutely silent, though there were waves crashing ashore. I knew that Jess wasn’t going to like the beach either. I went back into the room, and Jess was there. She said that she was fine, but that she wasn’t going to leave the room.
Flash to me standing in a different hotel room in Mexico. I opened the safe and took out my credit card statement. I saw that there was a charge on my visa for another hotel room in a Mexican beach town farther south than where I was staying. I looked towards one of the beds, and Cardinal Jessica was there packing. I asked her about the charge, and she said that the charge was for the place she was going to stay later that night. I asked her to please put that room on her own credit card, and I reached into the safe to pull out my phone. I told her that I’d be happy to call the hotel for her since it only cost me $0.50 per minute in Mexico.
Flash to me laying on a lounge chair in my bikini in the middle of our Traveler conference room at work. It was our real conference room at work, but it was located in a hotel in Mexico. Jackie was standing at the white board with a blue dry erase marker. Sarah M. was sitting across the table from me to my right. We were meeting to discuss whether or not to make one of our clients a member of our loyalty program. We were brainstorming pros and cons. All of a sudden there was a slimy, wet catfish lying on my stomach. I was grossed out and didn’t know why there was a catfish there. It was squirming around. All of a sudden, the catfish was soft and velvety, and I started to pet it. It inched its way up to my chest, and then out of nowhere, it lunged towards my neck and locked onto it, sucking harder and harder, trying to swallow my neck. I grabbed it with both hands, trying to pull it off, while screaming to Jackie for help, over and over again. She said that she couldn’t help and that we had to get back to business. I just kept screaming and eventually started to suffocate. I woke up from my dream choking. How pleasant.