Cast of Characters:
- Jess J. – BFF in Madison, WI. We’ve probably traveled to 20 countries together, no joke.
- Cardinal Jessica – One of my BFFs who I met about 10 years ago. She was the door girl at the best bar in the world, the Cardinal Bar, in Madison, WI, where I spent a large portion of my time in the mid-2000s. We both then moved to Chicago, where we became great friends. She now lives in Minneapolis. We have traveled together to five countries… and counting!
- Jackie – A current co-worker… the “dark-haired ginger.”
- Sarah M. – A current co-worker.
- Jess J. and I traveled together most recently to St. Maarten last year.
- Cardinal Jessica and I traveled together most recently to Mexico earlier this year.
- I love Mexico!
- I used to go fishing for catfish with my dad in rural Wisconsin. I haven’t eaten or touched a catfish in probably 25 years.
- We have a lot of meetings at work, and Jackie always seems to be the one taking the notes.
- Sarah is in charge of our loyalty program at work.
Wednesday night’s dream:
There were three separate parts to this dream. The dream started in a hotel room in Mexico, though it was a pretty accurate spacial depiction of my last room in St. Maarten. I was standing there alone, in anticipation of Jess J. arriving. It was very dark, and I had all of the curtains closed (in real life, I never close the curtains wherever I am at any time of day). I knew she wasn’t going to like the room. I went outside to the beach. It was cold, windy, and gray outside. I was overlooking a gray, choppy ocean, and there were sticks and seaweed littering the shore. The beach was empty and the air absolutely silent, though there were waves crashing ashore. I knew that Jess wasn’t going to like the beach either. I went back into the room, and Jess was there. She said that she was fine, but that she wasn’t going to leave the room.
Flash to me standing in a different hotel room in Mexico. I opened the safe and took out my credit card statement. I saw that there was a charge on my visa for another hotel room in a Mexican beach town farther south than where I was staying. I looked towards one of the beds, and Cardinal Jessica was there packing. I asked her about the charge, and she said that the charge was for the place she was going to stay later that night. I asked her to please put that room on her own credit card, and I reached into the safe to pull out my phone. I told her that I’d be happy to call the hotel for her since it only cost me $0.50 per minute in Mexico.
Flash to me laying on a lounge chair in my bikini in the middle of our Traveler conference room at work. It was our real conference room at work, but it was located in a hotel in Mexico. Jackie was standing at the white board with a blue dry erase marker. Sarah M. was sitting across the table from me to my right. We were meeting to discuss whether or not to make one of our clients a member of our loyalty program. We were brainstorming pros and cons. All of a sudden there was a slimy, wet catfish lying on my stomach. I was grossed out and didn’t know why there was a catfish there. It was squirming around. All of a sudden, the catfish was soft and velvety, and I started to pet it. It inched its way up to my chest, and then out of nowhere, it lunged towards my neck and locked onto it, sucking harder and harder, trying to swallow my neck. I grabbed it with both hands, trying to pull it off, while screaming to Jackie for help, over and over again. She said that she couldn’t help and that we had to get back to business. I just kept screaming and eventually started to suffocate. I woke up from my dream choking. How pleasant.